External display causing kernal panics on iMac - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SarahC92, Oct 27, 2013.

1. SarahC92 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, newbie here :)

My iMac is seriously struggling with an external display of mine. It is a 2008 model, so has mini DVI output. I bought an adapter off ebay, connected it to a DVI-D cable which was plugged in to a 2560x1440p Q270 monitor. As soon as I plugged the adapter in to the mac, its kernal panics, and says 'your computer encountered a problem and needs to restart'.

I have tried plugging it in during a reboot, and get the exact same problem.

The monitor works with my 2006 macbook pro and DVI-D cable, so i'm sure the iMac's graphics card is powerful enough to process the display.

Can anyone advise me on where i'm going wrong? Thanks! :)

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

It could be the adaptor, some macs don't like third party stuff, don't know though have you got another monitor or a different adaptor to try and test it on?

3. SarahC92 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK .. i've just tested another cable. This one's a rather obscure Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter. (MiniDVI male, HDMI female). I plugged it in to the iMac, and then attached a long HDMI cable to a 720p 32" LCD TV, but .. the resolution looks horrible, and it's constantly flickering. Basically it is unusable as a secondary display. No kernal panic though..

I have contacted the adapter seller and they have confirmed it is a DVI-D adapter, which is what the monitor requires. If it helps, here is the monitor in question, which works perfectly well on my MBP:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Yamakasi-Catleap-Q270-SE-27-LED-2560x1440-WQHD-S-IPS-Widescreen-Monitor-/140980685305?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20d31a89f9

Here is the adapter in question:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290554586710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

4. SarahC92 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I have a feeling it may be the GPU.

How do I run diagnostics on Mavericks? I don't have any boot disc..

5. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

When starting up the machine press D that runs the diagnostic