External display for gaming on 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Mightee, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Mightee macrumors member

I've been playing Diablo III on my my 21.5" 2011 iMac (i5, 6770M 512), and while I really enjoy the graphics performance, my screen size is a bit small for my liking. If I hook up a second display (not a Thunderbolt) and use it as my primary monitor, what kind of performance hit can I expect from the card?

Thanks!

2. JaHull macrumors member

If you are going to up the resolution to 2560x1440 or higher you can expect quite a big performance hit on my iMac which is 2 years older than yours with a 4850m i go from 37 down to 25 FPS when switching from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 and when comparing my graphics card to yours on notebookcheck.net with Starcraft 2 your graphics card is around 10FPS lower on High or Ultra settings, which is what I use on Diablo 3.

On the offhand of you just getting a larger display with the same resolution as your current display or a larger display but are willing to play Diablo 3 at not native resolution you should be fine.
    I have a second display connected to my iMac and have never noticed any difference in FPS when it is connected and when it is not.