External display for MacBook....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjrobertson, Feb 10, 2008.

1. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I'm contemplating getting an external screen for my MacBook (late '07) with GMA X3100.
    I can't decide between a 20" (probably OK) and the 22" (they're only about £20 more than the 20' screens!)

I'm wondering, first off: Will the X3100 be able to handle a 22" / 22" screen? If it can't handle dual, then I'd still be happy with just clamshell.

Secondly; is 22" too big for uni (remember the small rooms!) I'm not going to be doing anything too graphic intensive. Photoshop, CAD programs, possibly games via bootcamp, website design, and the usual stuff (word processing, internet etc.)

What would everyone recommend? Money isn't too much of a problem (You're a student! I hear you say :p) but I've decided there's no point spending more if the extra 2" is going to be used.

Transport is another factor...

How long do screens usually last? Would / could I still be using the same screen after uni (5 years), if so; the bigger the better I guess.

Thanks

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You don't get anymore functionality from a 22" screen than you do on a 20" other than larger pixels. The 20" and 22" runs at exactly the same resolution. Also, most 22" panels are TN panels which is why they are only slightly more expensive than a 20" display which use S-PVA or S-IPS panels (way better than TN). TN panels are what is used in all laptops and have horrible viewing angles and bad color reproduction.

I most certainly recommend a 20" and if you have the room and want a higher resolution, go 24" og 23". Stay clear of the 22".

Edit: Oh yeah, the x3100 is more than capable of running resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 (if you a quick search on apple's spec website). The limitations of graphic cards are resolution, not display size.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If the Apple Store is right about it having 144MB of shared memory, you should be able to easily use a 20-24" monitor. It all depends on what resolution, but you should be fine. I have the 128MB video in a MacBook Pro, and I'm running 1680x1050 on a 20" monitor. I could probably get an HD display (1920x1080) and run it on here. That's probably the same with all Macs.

This 20" Viewsonic LCD is maybe 4 inches wider than the 15" MBP. You should have no problem, even in a college setting, with a 20". I saw a Samsung 24" widescreen LCD for $400 in an ad recently. You could probably even go with that. Your best bet is to ask someone at an Apple Store when you look around.

4. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Jiddick, just what I was looking for. I've decided I'll go for a 20".

Now what about makes? I've head Samsung is good, and my brother has a nice one. Acer is cheaper, but doesn't seem as good.

Who would you recommend? I'll probably be buying off Amazon.co.uk so if you see any good offers there do send a link :)

Edit: Oh yeah! Price range of about £150 - £200

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Samsung, as you already mentioned, a lot of people recommend. Viewsonic and LG also makes some really good displays.

One of my own specification requirements beside S-IPS and S-PVA panels are height adjustment, additional USB ports and VGA / DVI input.

Unfortunately Dell usually lives up to these requirements and their 2007 version is really good. Be prepared for some rough rides if you are not content with the display. I had my 2005FPW exchanged three times and after that they refused to exchange it anymore. Now I am left with a monitor with bleeding corners like you wouldn't believe it and Dell didn't care. Fair to say that I won't be buying their stuff anymore right? :eek:

6. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm edging closer to my decision.... I'll probably go for a samsung, and I've already decided I want DVI and VGA. What's the point of a USB port?! Is it for plugging things like cameras into (to view on the screen), or is it an expansion of the USB ports of my Mac?

7. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

check this out: - 20" Dell monitor and it uses a S-IPS panel, you'll have to get your own picture of Keira Knightly!

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-011-DE&groupid=703&catid=17&subcat=

8. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

What are the ACD's like in comparison to the models you have talked about please ?

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

An expansion to the ports on your mac. It might save you buying a hub.

Yep. That's the one. Too bad Knightley isn't included in the deal though... :(
    As far as I heard, some 2007wfp's use S-IPS, some use S-PVA so it would be good to buy from someone who can guarantee an S-IPS.

About the same, just a lot more expensive and a lot purtier. Also you give up various ergonomics adjustments when choosing an ACD (it's just waaaay to low imo). Both Dell and ACD uses an S-IPS so that's a good thing :)

10. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Another recommendation for Samsung. I've got a cheap Belinea 22". It works fine, I got it very cheap and once I ran my spyder, the reproduction's accurate enough for print. However, it's nowhere near as sharp, accurate and saturated as a Samsung. Of course you're looking at 3x what I paid but if you've got the cash.. splurge away!

11. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have an Apple keyboard, so 2 extra USB ports there :)

As for screens..... what's the Dell one got going for it? (Except for the USB ports) I've been looking at this Samsung one, and it's cheaper, got a better contrast ratio, response, and a few more things.

Thoughts?

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That Samsung is TN and not height adjustable The dell is either S-IPS or S-PVA much better I would get a dell we have had 4 LCDs from them and not a single problem.

13. mrtune macrumors 6502a

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Hey guys, I have an ACER AL1916W. The native resolution on it is 1440x900, and when I bought the Apple VGA cable, I was unable to get it to work at 1440x900. Does anyone know why? When I went to a lower resolution, it would show my desktop completely in the middle of the screen, so there was like 3inches on the sides of black unused space. So I returned it.

I really want to get this cable again, does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?

15. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

weird! I have the exact same monitor and I have no problems setting it to a resolution of 1440x900

16. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

The Dell is going for £246.74 inc VAT

17. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

im not sure if this is just a VGA connection issue...but does that monitor come up with the "dell self test feature" thing when you put it into sleep?

18. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's my worry. It just ever so slightly over budget. :(

19. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm liking the look of this

This one has an adjustable stand, it's still TN (I've looked around and people say there's no REAL difference between TN and the others.

Ideas on this monitor? good value for money? Would you buy the earlier mentioned screens as opposed to this?

Thanks again :)

20. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

me thinks the glossy samsung is better, unless you pay up the scale and go for the dell instead.
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/589305/art/samsung/2032bw-syncmaster-20-wide.html

im not keen on the design of the cheaper silver samsung. stand doesnt look inkeeping with the lcd.

this last sammy here is what id prob go for tho, design is spot-on if ur not sure about the curved shape of the above glossy numberhttp://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/530175/art/samsung/206bw-20-wide-format-tft.html

21. pjrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, the 206BW (2nd link) is one version up from what I was looking at.

I'm not entirely sure the adjustable stand is necessary. What I've done with my home desktop is put a box under it to make it the right height.

Shall I go for it?! Decisions decisions....

:D