External Display for MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by erummel, Apr 25, 2008.

1. erummel macrumors member

erummel

I've decided it's time to purchase an external display for my 17" MBP (w/ 256 MB ATI X1600). I'm looking at getting a 22" wide-aspect display. I'm not concerned with the TN/(x)VA/IPS panel arguments, as I'm not a graphic designer and/or photographer. It will mainly be used for work (Word/PP/email/interweb- I'm a doctoral student and mainly work from home), watching TV and movies, and some gaming via BootCamp. I've looked at 24" displays, but they are way too pricey for the extra 2" viewable and sharper resolution (which is over the max for my graphics card).

The Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP seems an excellent choice when cost and features are considered. I really like the idea of an adjustable stand, as I'm tall and move around quite a bit whilst working so my neck doesn't fall off. This is the display:

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=130004

Now Obviously I wouldn't buy from Dell, because I've found it new and factory sealed for less than £200 from reputable dealers. I'd like to know if anyone else has this display and what they think of it. I've found reviews on the interweb, but I'd prefer to read the experiences of MacRumors members as they're generally a trustworthy and helpful lot.

So is this a sound plan? Any other 22" that I should be looking at? Anyone want to try and talk me into a 24"?

Oh, and iff I buy this display, do I need any sort of adapter for my DV port on my MBP? Or will it just plug right in (it is a digital HD display)?

Thanks much,

E

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It'll plug right in without problems.

I can't comment on this particular screen, but generally the Dell displays are pretty good. We use quite a number at work, of various sizes, and they've all been very satisfactory.

A 24" would give you higher resolution, though. ;-)

I have a high-res 17" MBP that I occasionally use with a Dell 20" display. The display itself is excellent, but I do miss the extra resolution that I get from the built-in screen (1920x1200 vs 1680x1050).

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I have the 2207 and it's pretty grainy, pretty low res for the size....

edit: the mbp can easily run a 24", it can run a 30"....

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Seriously consider bumping up to a 24", if you can afford it. Since you're not worried about the panel, check out newegg.com. They have several 22"-24" screens at good prices. I got a Samsung 22" screen to attach to my MBP, and love it. Like you, I wasn't bothered by the panel, and felt no need to pay more. Gateway has an interesting 22" and 24" model out now that includes HDMI, in case you have 360 or PS3. Good luck to you.

5. erummel thread starter macrumors member

erummel

I guess I'm pretty confused now. I don't want to shell out all of this money and get a crap display. All of the 24" models seem to be way too expensive. Might as well just buy an iMac for those prices. I'm even willing to go down to a 20" display, as an old 19" seemed pretty darn large compared to the MBP 17". I just want to be able to work, watch movies and play the occasional game without spending much more than £200. Is this possible?

6. erummel thread starter macrumors member

erummel

Shameless bump. I could really use some help...

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Considering cost is an important factor, the Dell monitor should work out great. I love mine, even tho I could have spent more for a better one it serves it's purpose. $200 is a good price.

8. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

The Dell you are looking at will be great. The price is nice. Go for it, you won't be disappointed. :)