External Display & FPS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vodan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. vodan macrumors newbie

I already read some threads on gaming performances of the 15"/6750M, but those discussions only mentioned performance on the 15" screen under native or supported resolutions.

I am looking for comments/benchmarks when the mbp is connected to an external display - been thinking about getting the 15"/6750M to replace both my desktop and my laptop.

I spend a lot of time on my computer playing MMOs (WoW & CoH) but I don't need to always adjust the effects to Ultra - medium/high @ 60 fps will do just fine.

I've got a 24" Dell U2410 with Displayport running 1920x1200, so I'm just wondering if the same setting will perform worse when the mbp is connected to it in closed clamshell mode.

Any comments would be great.

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

It will perform worse than native. How much worse, I'm not sure, but i wouldn't expect to push high framerates to a display with that resolution.

3. vodan thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i get the high-res version, which is 1680x1050 native, then set my games to play at that resolution (and back to 1920x1200 when not in game), would i be able to get the same performance on the external display?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

There's no difference in performance in playing at one resolution that's not native and the same resolution and native.

If you are playing on an external monitor, put your machine into clamshell mode, which disables the internal LCD so the GPU is only driving one screen.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yes you'll get the same performance, but it wont look great stretched on the bigger screen.

6. vodan thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks - exactly the answers i'm looking for :D

7. eC1990ho macrumors member

To be honest even in clamshell you will lose some fps due to the GPU having to calculate more pixels