External Display Help/Suggestion for Macbook Pro 15" Unibody

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glambert, Apr 4, 2010.

1. glambert macrumors newbie

Hey there everyone!

I'm brand new to this forum, but I've been reading a lot from it for the past years. I've been reading and researching for information on External Displays for my new Macbook Pro but I thought I might as well ask it directly instead, so here goes:

So I just bought a brand new Macbook Pro 15" Unibody (matte screen, yes!) a week ago. Before that I had a Macbook Pro 15" 2.33 Aluminium hooked with a ViewSonic 22" VA2226W. After changing my laptop, I eventually got the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to connecter my ViewSonic display to my new laptop. The problem is that gray area on the screen are flickering. I've tried everything: SMC, PRAM reset, re-installing Leopard, etc.

So with all that said, I'm looking into a new monitor, since my ViewSonic is almost 4 years old. I went to the Apple Store to see the Apple Cinema Display 24", but I'm not 100% sure about the glossy screen, + the price is pretty high (999$ CAD here in Canada). I'm also looking at Dell screens, specifically the S2409W that has a matte screen and is 24" as well, but 300$ instead.

So here's where I need your opinion. I am a freelance Web Developper and can be in front of my screen for over 10 hours a day. What would guys recommend? Should I wait for a refurbished Apple Cinema Diplay 24"? Try and get a Apple Cinema Diisplay 23" (matte)? Or get a normal monitor like a Dell or Samsung?

Any advice, suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Even though the 24" LED Cinema from Apple is great, there are other good displays for cheaper price. Here are NewEgg's best rated monitors

3. RudyGrow macrumors regular

4. glambert thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Guess its too late for this: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

If I was buying a new monitor and wanted the best bang for the buck: Dell U2410.

Top quality IPS screen, tons of inputs (even has a display port), USB hub, card reader.

$500 and worth every penny.

6. glambert thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should've waited on getting my new Macbook Pro? God damn there is always something new/better coming up anyway ;)

7. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Apple 24" LED Display

I am using an Apple 24" LED Display all day at work, every day. I'd say, if the lighting conditions are good, I don't think I could imagine a better display (and I've seen many). However, when the weather is good and its a certain time of day (sunlight angle), then the reflections are bothersome. Window shades then do the trick for me. I have tried, but I do not get used to the reflections (some people do). I had a 23" Apple Cinema Display before. It was great except that it showed this "graininess" that probably comes from the anti-reflective coating. I'm not sure if there is anything in between.

The matte display on the new Mac Book Pro 15" seems perfect to me (good choice!), low reflections & no noticeable graininess (to me). If there were such a display in 24", I'd buy that next time (but for the time being my Apple 24" LED Display is _almost_ perfect).

8. glambert thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the tips Kraftz. Now if only I could get my hands on a refurb screen and save 200$+ ;)

9. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

If you don't need the best picture quality but would rather have a very large monitor for the money you can get one of these 28" (27.5" actual I believe) ones:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043

I have 3 of these and love the huge size and 1920x1200 res. Overall the picture quality is fine for me but I'm not pro graphics guy. Note the stand only tilts, no height adjustment. Just a suggestion, good luck with your search.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

get a refurb ACD,

the dells are nice....but none connect as nicely as the ACD :p

i love the apple monitor....best monitor i have ever owned :D

11. UsedMacGuy macrumors newbie

Don't forget the DVI adapter! My 2008 MBP has that "Mini DisplayPort."
    I assumed I had the correct adapter left over from my Macbook (black) from the previous year. Whoops... I had to borrow somebody else's laptop to do a presentation.
    Quite embarrassing.
    But not as embarrassing as the underwear flagpole incident in college.

12. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

The Dell U2410 someone mentioned is a good value.

For the next step up...especially for graphics artists and photographers...... the new NEC PA241W. Hard to find at this point, but shipments should start arriving by beginning of May. $980 at B&H Video but long waiting list. This monitor appears to be capable of competing with the Eizo 243W ($2100).

Apple monitors and Dells are NOT in this class.

13. glambert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again everyone for all the tips and suggestions!

Finally i'm settling on the Apple Cinema Display 24". I'm just waiting to try and get a refurb. Anyone know when those are usually in or is it totally random? I've bookmarked the refurb page on the Apple Store (Canada for me) and checking it every so and then.

Thanks again!

14. caonimadebi macrumors regular

you may want to check to see if your Mini Displayport to DVI adapter has a problem, especially if it is third party. I got a discount DVI adapter from the local Fry's Electronics and the image on external monitor flickered severely. Problem was solved when I ponied up for the Apple adapter.

15. glambert thread starter macrumors newbie

Both my DVI and VGA Mini DisplayPort adapters are Apple's.