External Display Help w/ rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dextr3k, Jun 21, 2014.

1. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Hi, I need some help with this.....

So I bought a 27" 1440p monitor (2560x1440). I also have a late 2013 rMBP. It is fully capable of outputting this resolution through hdmi and thunderbolt 2. However, the monitor does not have a displayport. So I have to use either dvi or hdmi in.

Now the question is, I have a hdmi cable, and it works perfectly, 2560x1440 @ 60hz. But I also bought a mini dp to hdmi cable. It does not work. It only outputs 1080p as maximum. I cannot select anything higher. I assume it has something to do with hdmi specs or drivers? It was a no name cable.

SO, I was wondering if anyone has successfully used a mdp to hdmi cable to output this resolution, and I just need to find a better cable/adapter. If it is impossible I shall stop trying now.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My suggestion:

If you have a solution that works (you seem to have one) -- keep using it!

3. dextr3k thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it works,

but I can improve it by moving all the connectors (power, display, speakers) to one side, it would look better!

:D

4. chrfr macrumors 603

It appears to be a limitation of the Mac. Note the highlight in red here: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9475&format=2

It looks like your only other option is to go with dual-link DVI, and I wouldn't say that's a better option than just leaving the HDMI cable sticking out the other side.
    You could also get a Thunderbolt dock that's got HDMI, but that's an even more expensive solution.

5. dextr3k thread starter macrumors 6502

That is interesting.

I had thought that since thunderbolt and hdmi are both capable of achieving that resolution, it would be a simple plug and play. That is too bad that it does not support past 1080p. But a dp or hdmi cable by itself will support that resolution. :(

Maybe I wait for osx fw update, thanks guys.