External Display Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hipnomac, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

Hello All,

I am a long time reader of macrumors, and finally registered. Thanks for all the help in the past everyone.

I have been hooking up my MB to a DLP Projector to watch movies recently. I am shocked at the picture quality, I just really love my MB it seems it can do anything.

Anyways my question is when I have it hooked up both monitors are running, the DLP and my actual macbook, I want to know if there is a way to have a screen saver run or have the display shut down on the MB when I am watching a movie through the projector.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You should just need to close the lid on the MacBook and the external display that is connected will keep it awake.

3. Hipnomac thread starter macrumors regular

Hipnomac

When I do that the it puts my computer into sleep mode and stops the movie.

4. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Connect a USB keyboard and mouse, and you may need to have the power supply plugged in as well. After you closed the MacBook, "reawaken" it with the mouse/keyboard.

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I don't know if this will necessarily apply to the MacBooks, and I don't know if this is exactly the kind of solution you're looking for, but on my PowerBook G4 if I boot up with the lid closed and an external monitor attached, it turns the external into the primary display and ignores the state of the laptop lid (that is, that it's closed).

Of course, another alternative you might explore is simply turning off the backlight on the internal display when not in use.