External display issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lesyork, Dec 29, 2011.

1. lesyork macrumors member

Hi guys,

This is a bit odd - was working fine as of last night. Whenever I plug in my VGA adaptor when the dedicated card is selected (6750M) the screen no longer dips in and out, and I cannot output to an external monitor. I have tried Detect Displays, but to no avail, and I'm certain it's not an issue with the external monitor itself.

It's odd because it works fine in my Windows BC partition, and the screen dips in and out when I have the HD 3000 selected (obviously nothing is outputted). I've done a PRAM reset.

Any ideas? (TIA)

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Are you using a Graphics Switching application?

First off, your Intel HD 3000 will not output, only the dedicated card is capable of outputting to an external display. If you're using a graphics switching app suck as gdxcardstatus, quit it when using your monitor. I have had similar problems myself when using gfxcardstatus.

3. lesyork thread starter macrumors member

I know it won't output through the HD, but it does the dip in and out blue screen, like the 6750M should, but neglects to.

I've been using gfxCardStatus since I got my Mac, and I've been able to use my external monitor whilst having my dedicated card selected using the program. I have tried quitting it and restarting, but it makes no difference.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

The only other thing I can recommend besides a PRAM reset is a visit to the Apple Store. to do a PRAM reset hold down the command option p and r buttons immediately after you press the power button until you hear the apple chime twice. The PRAM is not directly related to this issue but it might clear a few settings related to the power that could possibly resolve it.