External display MBP, asepct ratio and stuff

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by toebs, Apr 9, 2009.

1. toebs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Hello i have a problem when i connect my MBP to my plasma, but first ill introduce the hardware:

MBP unibody 15.4"
    mini displayport -> dvi -> hdmi converter(s)
    Panasonic 42" PX700 plasma

When i connect the MBP to the plasma, i set resolution on plasma to 1280x720.
    But some of the top, bottom, and edges are missing, like its a little zoomed.
    Allso picture looks a little stretched vertically, so that cars are boxy, faces are long etc.

Any one know what to do?

2. bigbossbmb
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

this is called overscan... it's part of the TV, see if you can turn it off with one of the TV's picture settings.

3. toebs
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

Thanks i will see if i can.

However when using windows, its not a problem. But sofacontrol for mac rocs so much, i wont to use osx ;)

4. Fazzl
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

5. roidy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Is the TV the Panasonic TH42PX70 sometimes called the TH42PX700 because if it is then the TV only has a panel resolution of 1024x768.

6. vw412fan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

vw412fan

You might be able to achieve the right resolution settings on your Macbook by installing SwitchResX in order to come up with custom display settings.

At one point I had my Mac mini connected by DVI-HDMI to my Panasonic TH-50PX80U plasma (also 1024 x 768 iirc).

I played around with SwitchResX and posted my settings here: http://fleablog.com/intel-mac-mini-switchresx-and-panasonic-th-50px80u-plasma/ Someone else posted comments as well, with slightly different settings.

Perhaps trying SwitchResX will help.