External display not being detected at all

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachalbert, May 11, 2010.

1. zachalbert macrumors newbie

I have a Hanns-G 22in monitor that I'm trying to connect to my new Macbook Pro. There's a DVI cable connected from the monitor to the macbook pro with a little converter cable. I've tried what seems like every iteration of sleeping, turning off, and turning on both the laptop and the monitor to no avail. The monitor always remains black as if it's connected to nothing.

I know the monitor is good, too, as I use it for my PC on a daily basis. I'm a new mac user and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot a problem like this.

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Try resetting the SMC. I had a similar problem a while ago, it worked for me. Apple website will tell you how.

Oh, and obviously check all cables & connectors, but I'm sure you've done that.

Hope you get it sorted.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. moosez3 macrumors member

I got my MBP 13 and got a mDP to HDMI cable and it worked fine immidiately, the MBP recogized I had a HannsG 28 and set the resoultion to native 1920x1200.

Yeah we need to know more about the mac you have and the monitor's inputs and so on.

5. zachalbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I tried resetting the SMC (power off > Shift+Opt+Ctrl+Power, Power On) with no luck. Here's exactly what I've got:

- 17in Macbook Pro 2010 (purchased late April 2010), core i7 if it makes a difference.
    - My monitor is a Hanns-G 22 inch HW 223D.
    - I am using Apples mini display port to DVI adapter (the same one pictured above, purchased with my macbook pro).
    - I have connected the DVI cable from the back of my monitor to the adapter, which I've then plugged into the mini display port. I've checked and rechecked to make sure all cables are secure, and that everything is plugged in :)

Any thoughts?

6. zachalbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Any thoughts on why this isn't working? Or at least, pointers for what to research next? I'm new to Macs and not sure where to start exactly.

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Have you tried different resolutions? Go to Preferences -> Displays

8. zachalbert thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Would be the first thing I'd check yes.

10. zachalbert thread starter macrumors newbie

How could I test it? I don't have any other displays or macs I can try it on.