External display not detected

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LindseyDarragh, Aug 6, 2010.

1. LindseyDarragh macrumors newbie

Forgive me if this has been covered but I could not find any problems similar to this reported with a fixable solution.

I have a 27" imac and have been using an apple led cinema display with it. I have had no problems with the display until today. Yesterday I installed windows 7 via bootcamp and had some trouble with the second display being detected but after downloading all of the bootcamp updates it worked fine. Today I restart my computer back into OSX and the display does not work. I tried resetting the PRam or whatever but that didnt do anything. When I go to system preferences>display there is no longer an option to detect display and there are no longer options to change the screen resolution. I spoke with an apple tech who has me installing an update but I dont think she really knew what was going on and I doubt this will work.

When I reboot back into the windows partition the display works during start up and I see the windows logo. So I dont think its a hardware issue (also the display still works fine with my macbook pro). But as soon as startup finishes I get a black screen. Under the control panel windows still recognizes that there is a 2nd display attached and you can still drag items over to the other screen, I just cant see anything. All black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Have you tried disconnecting the monitor and reconnecting it again while you're inside OS X (or Windows for that matter)?

3. LindseyDarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Do you have the possibility to try with another display?

5. LindseyDarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont. This is the only display i have that has the right connections for an imac. I dont think there is any problem with the display though since it works with my macbook.

6. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Ok, seems like a software issue then. Did you try to reset the SMC as well?

7. LindseyDarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

8. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

9. LindseyDarragh thread starter macrumors newbie

well Ill admit I am very surprised but the update seems to have done the trick for the mac side anyway. The rep just didnt seem very confident about her suggestion so I was a little worried but I guess I have to give her credit. About to reboot now and try windows.

windows is good to go as well.