External display not recognised before login

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by alFR, Oct 25, 2014.

1. alFR macrumors 68020

On my MBP, when I started it up with Mavericks installed and an external display attached it would recognise the external display and show the login screen on there. With Yosemite (and FileVault enabled) it doesn't, it only shows the login screen on the internal display. Is this because FileVault is on and it doesn't unlock the HD until you've logged in so can't load the external display drivers, or is it a bug in Yosemite?

If I reboot with the external display attached after logging in the first time it works as it did under Mavericks, which makes me think it's FileVault, but I'd be interested to hear if FileVault made anyone's Mavericks install behave the same way as my Yosemite one does.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... its Filevault. That is how it worked with FV on under Mavericks. Totally normal.

The issue is with FV on when you see that first login screen, you are actually running off the recovery partition and not the actual OS on the main partition. Then after you enter your password, it unlocks the main partition and boots to the OS.

3. alFR thread starter macrumors 68020