External display not working but can be seen in iChat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hellhammer, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So my friend is having a problem with his external monitor. He bought a MDP to DVI adapter from eBay (non-Apple) but there is something wrong with something. When he connects it, the monitor stays black but when we tried iChat screen sharing, I could see the screen and fully use it (move windows there etc) but he couldn't even see it as the monitor was black. The monitor is 15" or 19" Acer and he has 15" MBP. We also tried connecting it to another display but no better results and we tried another cable as well.

So, anybody have an idea? I think it could be the adapter but why can I still see it but he cannot?

P.S. He (JoelKelly) asked me to make this thread because he had to go out so he'll be participating and maybe correcting my post when he gets back.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

As he said Lol ^^

Both monitors say 'No connection'. I've tried it with different resolutions, different refresh rates, yet no picture ever shows on the monitors.

3. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Do the monitors accept digital input?
    It might be that only a digital signal is coming through.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Hi,

Problem is I only have VGA Cables, I have DVI-I (The MDP adapter is DVI-I) to VGA cables which I use for my PC, TV etc. I have tried it with this adapter yet it still doesn't work.

my Monitor does have a DVI input, but I don't have a DVI cable unfortunately.

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I'm pretty positive you CANNOT use a minidp-DVI adapter with a DVI-VGA adapter. If you want to connect a VGA monitor, you'll need a minidp-VGA adapter.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It's a DVI-I version though (Not the Apple version). So it should work?

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I wasnt aware that anyone made a DVI-I version. I have the monoprice adapters and my DVI one is DVI-D only. My guess is that this off brand adapter you bought just doesn't work as advertised. Ever wonder why the VGA adapters are more expensive? There's a reason for everything. It's probably just your adapter that doesn't work properly.

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I guessed so. I've emailed the seller to get it refunded, and I'll be buying a knock off VGA one. Would the VGA work converting to digital though?

9. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AFAIK, you can't convert the signal (at least without expensive converter). If the signal from MBP is analog, it's analog all the way and it's the same with DVI. Not 100% sure though