Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirborneAngel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Alright, so today I went out and bought myself a mini DVI to VGA adapter so I could connect my MacBook to my 24" Samsung 245BW display. I plugged it in, went to display settings and could not find the correct resolution, which is 1620x1200. Right now the window looks kind of blurry and just sits in the middle of the display. I've gone through all the resolutions, how can I get my MacBook to work with the display? Thanks ahead of time!

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
You can't get the correct resolution on your Macbook's display, or the Samsung? If you're talking about the Samsung, your Macbook may not support an external 1620x1200 display.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Are you using screen mirroring or extending the desktop to the samsung display? If both screens show the same image then the max resolution will not go higher then the MacBook's built in display. You have to use extended desktop to reach the max resolution of the samsung monitor.

AirborneAngel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, I actually got it to work and the resolution is fine. The one thing that does trouble me though is the blurriness/graininess that it is currently experiencing.

Right now I'm using a VGA cable, which I think may be the source of this problem. Do you think switching over to DVI will have a big affect on the picture quality?

The picture quality was stunning when I had the PC hooked up with the monitor via DVI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.