External Display only but using Keyboard and Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nawazsumar, Jun 27, 2011.

1. nawazsumar macrumors newbie

Hi

I recently bought a 2011 Macbook Pro 13.

I would like to use it with an external display only i.e. laptop screen off (in my case specifically a hdtv via a MiniDisplayport to HDMI adaptor) but with the use of the keyboard and trackpad on the laptop.

I realise its possible in clamshell mode, but then i lose the keyboard and trackpad, or using an extended desktop (I did read that I could use the laptop screen as the second display and turn the brightness down but that means my mouse can leave the main screen etc). I dont want to have to buy a keyboard and trackpad (mainly cause they are two separate items and so no so easy to use on your lap).

Any help is appreciated :)

2. Zumino macrumors newbie

/scratches head.

I'm not sure why you would want to do that but hoookay.

Best thing I see is Set Mirror display, and set the resolution to the HDTV. That "should" work AFAIK.

It's a check box under display preferences, and arrangement.

Personally, I would set the Laptop screen to be "below" the HDTV, set the taskbar to either the left or right side, and then use the laptop as a tool window, or a "other window" (email/ical/whatever) open on the bottom. I personally rarely go to the bottom of the screen when I'm working, and the bottom/top seems easier to 'find' then either side.

But to do what you want, I think Mirror Display should work. Just seems a bit of a waste to me.

3. nawazsumar thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried mirroring, which i would have been happy with except my laptops resolution is much lower than my 1080p tv. I would accept it being scaled down on the laptop screen but it doesnt seem possible.

I am aware of the extended desktop and have it configured as you describe, but ideally not having the laptop screen on and distracting me would be my preference.

But thanks for the suggestion :)

4. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

i used to do what you are aiming for with my ibook g4

it required waking the laptop with the lid shut (for example pressing any key on a paired bluetooth keyboard) so that it will wake in clamshell mode at which point you're welcome to open it and use the built in keyboard/trackpad. there may be another way to accomplish it but fwiw you could probably just get a magic mouse (or temporarily plug in any usb external mouse/keyboard) and wake it with a click of that.