External Display or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wyatt23, Jun 5, 2007.

1. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

Ok, so i'm ordering a MacBook C2D (from sineohair!) and i need some advice...

i really need a notebook, which is why i got the macbook. but i'm curious of how it will fare on my desk as well. i know i could problably score a cheap iMac CD somewhere or I could go ahead and just get an external display (maybe a Dell 20" for $219!).

i'm looking to dual boot with vista or XP, so i can play a few games... i.e. Freelancer, Civ IV, and Ceasar 3.

Also, if anyone has a MacBook... How many recommend having the supplemental desktop as well?

2. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

3. wyatt23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i finally appreciate a follow up to my post! :) any justification for it?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The MacBook will work well on a desk with a nice big external monitor. Just don't count on it for gaming.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Personally, I like having a desktop and laptop but if you have to genuine reason needing 2 machines, just go for the monitor.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

IMO, keeping two machines in sync can be a pain, but if you don't mind the little bit of extra work to make that happen you could get 2 machines. You won't be playing many "hardcore" games with the MB's graphics "card," though.

I'd probably roll with the external monitor, personally.

7. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

i was looking at some of the external apple monitors, those suckers are expensive. I have a C2D MBP and was thinking about buying an external monitor for it, but I cannot decide on one to buy.

8. wyatt23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

well freelancer is about 4 years old, but i love it. civ 4 is really the killer. i think it should play nicely tho.

ok. i think i'm gonna have to go with a cheapy from tiger direct, unless anyone has some inexpensive suggestions.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

From memory, FreeLancer is still going to need T&L support.

Any monitor will do.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You don't have to buy an ACD....from what I hear Dell makes some pretty nice monitors on the (relative) cheap. I'm kind of an aesthetics monkey, so I'd probably buy the 23" ACD to go with my PowerBook....but I'm a huge goon.

If you can't afford an ACD (I can't, mind you, which is why I don't have one), then take a look at Dell monitors.