Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davejuen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2020
Hi, I do not use forums often so I hope this is the right place. I just purchased a new M1 Mac mini. Very excited for the performance and graphic performance. I set it up and I have it connected via HDMI to my 43" insignia Fire TV.

However, the display is of poor quality and many of the icons and windows look very pixelated. In my Mac system preferences it lists the tv device with a strange device name. And then it won't let me control either brightness or screen resolution size?

I'm a little disappointed and don't know where to start to troubleshoot. The HDMI cable is generic Best Buy purchase. Do I need a higher quality HDMI cable? I also have a USB/Thunderbolt port should I connect via that instead? Is there a driver I can download for the TV settings? I played with all the display settings on the television but it still looks pixelated.

If anyone else has experienced this issue and knows a good place for me to start that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Dave

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
You definitely want to make sure you are using a high speed cable. I am running mine via USB-C to DisplayPort. I would consider buying a USB-C to HDMI cable. I have read people have been having problems with 4K through the HDMI port.

Something like this

davejuen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2020
Sweet, thank you Phoenix! I bought the cable and tried it out. It still didn't work though :(

Do you have any other ideas? I am thinking that it might be the color profile and I just don't have the right display profile to select in settings?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
You might try this (saw this on the Best Buy page for this tv): Hold Home button on TV remote until little menu pops on right side of screen Go To Picture Go to Advanced Settings Go to HMDI Input Mode Mine was set to auto, but manually change it to the 2.0 option

MacOS can be pretty finicky about detecting monitor support, so maybe this will force the issue a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.