External display problem, colours are inverted

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darels, Feb 14, 2012.

1. darels macrumors member

I own macbook pro 13 2011 base model, and i bought cheap dvi cable from ebay to connect my mac to external display at my uni, it works, but colours are inverted on external display. It is fine on my mac display though and even shortcut ctr+opt+cmd+8 works to invert colours, but then colours are fine on external display and inverted on mac. I want to use both of them so does anyone knows the solution? Could the cable be faulted? Thanks

2. JacaByte, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

JacaByte macrumors 6502

Nice, theoretically that's impossible because of the way DVI works. What kind of external display are you using?

Edit: After reading up on this issue it appears to be a problem with the Thunderbolt firmware on the 2011 MBPs. Is the firmware on your MBP all up to date? Additionally, which version of OS X are you using? For some users OS X Lion fixed the issue, for others Lion had no effect.

3. darels thread starter macrumors member

Its Dell 1908fp

----------

cool, I'm using 10.7.2, i heard some bad feedback about 10.7.3 so I hesitate to update it, but i am going to it right now then.

thank you for help!

4. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Before you do that, could you go to your System Profiler (Apple > About this Mac > More Info) and tell me what version of Thunderbolt is listed under Hardware > Thunderbolt? As far as I can tell the latest firmware version for Thunderbolt is 1.1.

5. darels thread starter macrumors member

could it be 22.1?

MacBook Pro:

Vendor Name: Apple, Inc.
    Device Name: MacBook Pro
    UID: 0x0001000A1D894EE0
    Firmware Version: 22.1
    Port:
    Link Status: 7
    Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.0.7

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

when you click the apple then check for updates do you have a firmware update?

7. darels thread starter macrumors member

No, there is update just for airport utility and I've just updated to 10.7.3, it didn't help. I remembered that i have once connected to another display with cable it came with and it worked fine, with the cheap cable I bought for my uni displays this happened.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

your updated than if there is nothing there, do you have a way to test the cable on the onther MBP or another monitor?

9. darels, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

darels thread starter macrumors member

I have booted windows and it is same thing, inverted on display, fine on mac, when i turn invert colours on in windows it is vice versa, fine on display, inverted on mac.

----------

i tried on different display and it is same, but the model i tried with was the same too, I'm gonna try it with another mac now,

Okay, tried with another mac which was same model like mine, same effect too, and tried with 15 incher one who had windows booted and it didn't work at all, when i turn display off and connect it to that mac, it recognises the monitor, (the screens turns blue for a sec) when i turn the monitor on it automatically disconnects

Could it be my adaptor? Because it isn't original one from apple store, just quite high quality fake from ebay, the only thing which confuses that it did work with another monitor and original dvi cable

10. darels thread starter macrumors member

I think it is the adaptor or cable, because i started notice that screen blinks sometimes and not always want to connect, will try to get a proper dvi cable from somewhere and figure out is mine one faulted, if not then gonna look for genuine adaptor, thanks for help, let me know if you have any oher ideas whitch could help.

11. JacaByte macrumors 6502

What brand of adaptor are you using? I've seen reports of this happening with the Moshi adaptors that Apple resells. Another new DVI cable will help narrow down possibilities, but theoretically this is impossible because DVI is a digital standard; if flaws in the cable, adaptor, etc. are corrupting the data sent to the TV the connection simply won't work, unlike VGA displays where you can have displays tinted red, green, blue, yellow, cyan or magenta because color pins have been severed.

I'm convinced that there's a firmware issue with the Thunderbolt controller chipset that Apple uses. This should be brought to their attention, but I'm not sure how one would accomplish that.

And the information you provided about your thunderbolt chipset is... interesting. Just so we're on the same page, this is the page I want you to check;

[​IMG]

(I don't have any Thunderbolt hardware because I'm using an early 2010 MBP, so I can't test this issue myself.)

12. darels thread starter macrumors member

Yep, same page. As i said my adaptor is fake, maybe thats what causes this. However it worked on different display with cable it came with.

Attached Files:

13. JacaByte macrumors 6502

I think only somebody with an adaptor that does work with your monitor and with Thunderbolt can help you at this point, I can't do anything from here because I can't test any display configurations on my laptop.

14. darels thread starter macrumors member

Believe it or not my cheap cable caused the issue. I had opportunity to check it on different display, and when i connected my mac with cable i bought it had same effect - inverted colours. When i used same adaptor but original cable that came with the display i used, colours was just fine and everything worked well. Looking for new cable now, thanks for help anyways!