external display problem, quick fix needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonjamesm, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

Hey all,

I'm looking to use my external display (situated to the right of my macbook) as my main display - with dock and finder bar on it... Problem is I can't set this up and its driving me nuts...

In the displays setting menu I've moved the external display everywhere and the closest i've come is having the macbook on top of the external. meaning the dock is at the bottom of the external but the finder bar is on the top of the macbook.

I just want to use my macbook as a dumping ground when its hooked up.

I'm sure this must be a easy fix.

Thanks again!

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Would you mind posting a screen capture of your Display preference pane? I don't want to futz around with cables right now to hook up an external display to reveal the extra preferences... ;)

3. Zyniker macrumors 6502

In the Display preference pane you should see two displays (two blue rectangles). One of these should have a silver/grey rectangle along the top of it. Drag that silver/grey rectangle from the current primary display to the current secondary display, this should cause the current secondary display to become the primary display. ;)

4. jonjamesm thread starter macrumors regular

jonjamesm

this is the closest I can get to what I want - but like I said before the finder bar is on the top of the macbook, not the external display...

EDIT - Props to the second poster!!! well... that was easy - who new that was a multifunctional image.

EDIT AGAIN - next time I'll read what it says above the blue rectangles... I'm so ashamed.

Attached Files: