Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwikrex

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I've noticed that my external LCD randomly went black a couple of times. It would come back after a couple of seconds. It seems to happen while playing a game for a while (WoW mostly). Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

darienphoenix

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
I've noticed that my external LCD randomly went black a couple of times. It would come back after a couple of seconds. It seems to happen while playing a game for a while (WoW mostly). Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

I had a similar problem - my external display would go blank and refuse to wake back up (with my Macbook in clamshell mode).

I'd have to open the Macbook, unplug the Mini-DisplayPort plug, and plug it back in for it to fix the problem.

Didn't have any problems with my old Blackbook, so I'm assuming it's not the display which is the problem (although it's pretty old, tbh).

dbowen123

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
Possible cause

I have a similar problem using an external LG monitor, flashes to black for a few seconds then comes back on. I've talked to Apple and LG about it and apparently there is no driver currently written for the NVIDA graphics chip to run external displays at a high resolution. At 1680 x 1050 resolution I can only have a 59.9 Hz refresh rate which isn't enough to fully operate the screen. I'm hoping that Apple writes a driver to fix this since it's pretty annoying to be writing then everything goes black.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Sorry to hijack your thread fellas I just wanted to ask; Is it 100% safe to run the macbook alu in clamshell mode? It works like a charm for me but I just want to make sure that Im not causing my computer any damage. Keyboard and screen is off right?

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Oh ****, I just realized mine does this too.

Software not hardware right? Just wait it out?

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Same here...I use mine in clamshell mode to watch HD films on a 42" plasma. I normally have the resolution set to 1280x720 but after I have initially plugged everything in the fun starts.....
I try to wake to macbook up using a bluetooth mouse and bluetooth keyboard, sometimes works, mostly doesnt. End up opening the clamshell then logging in then closing the shell and trying to wake again.
The external display will be blank for about 4 mins but eventually come on.
I can also get 1920 x 1080 resolution but with the same faults as above.

My previous gen 2.4ghz macbook worked great so hopefully this will get fixed by apple.

abjac370

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015
Thread Resurrection

I have been experiencing similar issues on my 15" Retina MBP. Having spoken with Apple they recommended turning off completely and holding Cmd+Alt+P+R and turning the power on. once you press the power button, keep holding the four buttons and you should hear the start up tone, then you will hear the tone again. The guy on the phone asked me to hold it still and I heard the tone a third time before he told me to release.

My understanding is that this clears the PRAM. It probably didn't need to do it twice, but better safe than sorry.

Anyway, probably not related to the original issue, but I found this thread when searching, so hope it helps someone else. No ill effects after 30mins or so, so I think it is fixed.

Reactions: Ali 22

Ali 22

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Thanks, This solution worked for me.

"Having spoken with Apple they recommended turning off completely and holding Cmd+Alt+P+R and turning the power on. once you press the power button, keep holding the four buttons and you should hear the start up tone, then you will hear the tone again."

Thread Resurrection

I have been experiencing similar issues on my 15" Retina MBP. Having spoken with Apple they recommended turning off completely and holding Cmd+Alt+P+R and turning the power on. once you press the power button, keep holding the four buttons and you should hear the start up tone, then you will hear the tone again. The guy on the phone asked me to hold it still and I heard the tone a third time before he told me to release.

My understanding is that this clears the PRAM. It probably didn't need to do it twice, but better safe than sorry.

Anyway, probably not related to the original issue, but I found this thread when searching, so hope it helps someone else. No ill effects after 30mins or so, so I think it is fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.