External Display Resolution Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mispeled, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mispeled macrumors newbie

mispeled

I use my MacAir to connect to the VGA input on the rear of my Samsung Series 6 610 LCD TV. I connect using an Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter MB572Z/A and a six foot VGA cable. It has worked great for the past year and a half. I plug the adapter in, switch my TV to PC input, close the lid of my MacAir, and enjoy the display.

Recently I took my MacAir to my parents' 50th Anniversary party. I plugged it into the projector there, which was set for 800x600 resolution. That was fine; the MacAir recognized it, projected the slide show I had created, and everyone applauded.

Now that I am back home, when I connect the MacAir back to my Samsung, the resolution is 800x600. It seems to be stuck thinking it is always being connected to the projector. I have changed the display settings to optimize for VGA when the adapter is plugged in.

I set the resolution at 1280 x 768 on the external display, which looks to be what it was before I took it away for usage with the projector. When I close the lid, the display switches on the TV to 1280 x 960; I would like to change it back to 1280 x 768, but it no longer is an option in the display resolutions. Which makes exactly zero sense to me, since it displays on the TV at that resolution when the lid is open.

When I open the lid again the display my television shows a window stating the display is shows is 1360x768. Which isn't even a choice in the resolutions I have.

It's extremely frustrating, mainly because I did nothing to the settings the first time I plugged the adapter in with this television. The MacAir just 'recognized' the monitor and chose the correct display resolution; much like it 'recognized' the projector and chose the correct display resolution. I would like it to be able to do that again. But since it seems incapable of doing so, I would like to be able to set the resolution to the one that works (1280 x 768) and have it stay that way when I close the lid.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. mispeled thread starter macrumors newbie

mispeled

Found a solution. App in App store called "Display Monitor." Was able to change resolution to 1280x768 when laptop closed with that. Seems odd it's not a choice from the built in Apple resolutions.

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Good you found another solution.

I read a tip somewhere that you can option-click the
    "Resolution: Scaled" radio-button to have a number of alternative resolutions show up. Not sure if that would've helped, but I'm posting it for anyone reading along.