External display resolutions - Best connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stevienet, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Stevienet macrumors newbie

Hi
    Wondering if anyone can help shed some light one this subject.

I've hooked up my MacBook Pro Retina to an external monitor. The native resolution of my 30in HP monitor is 2560x1600 (with only DVI inputs), whilst using the MacBook in clamshell mode I'm getting a maximum resolution of 1280x800 and by using the option key, 3 other lower resolution's appear under the scaled radio button. I'm aware there seems to be a problem with Mountain Lion and hooking up external monitors but I'm wondering if my choice of connection may also have something to do with it. I'm using a HDMI to DVI-D cable from MacBook to monitor. Would anyone be able to tell me the maximum resolution this type of cable is able to provide? I'm wondering if its worth buying a mini display port to DVI or another type connection (thunderbolt?) to try and get the monitor to display the maximum resolution. Or would I just be wasting my time and hope that an update will support the monitors resolution?

Thanks for reading!
    Steve

2. agaskew macrumors 6502

This may be no help but my cheap external HP 1920x1080 monitor runs fine in clamshell via miniDP to DVI. You aren't mirroring the displays by any chance?
    Did you go to Screen Preferences and check which resolutions are listed for the External monitor?

3. Stevienet thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm not mirroring.
    When I hold down the option key on the scaled resolutions I can select either:
    1200x800
    1024x768
    1024x640
    800x600
    None of which look good on a 30in monitor.

I've checked the native resolution on the HP website for my monitor:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/...#spectype=north_america&type=html&docid=12621
    and it states the resolution of 2560x1600.
    Thanks Steve

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

5. mneblett macrumors 6502

+1 -- get rid of the HDMI port.

I stumbled across this myself when I swapped the mini-DP to HDMI adapter for a mini-DP to DVI-D adapter when doing some unrelated diagnostics. Before I was considering an Apple Thunderbolt display because the display (via HDMI) was so crappy. It will be much harder to justify the Thunderbolt display now.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

To run 2560x1600 you specifically need Dual-Link DVI, which requires the Apple adapter linked above, or a native DisplayPort input which your monitor does not appear to have.

7. Stevienet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback, looks like I'll give the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI a go.
    Steve

8. Stevienet thread starter macrumors newbie

Purchased the recommended connections today and everything looks great. Thanks everyone.

9. esskay macrumors 6502