External Display setup( HDTV)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finnschi, Apr 15, 2010.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I finally got my 62" Plasma .. and I want to watch movies with it using my MacBook unibody... I already have mini Dp --> HDMI adapter which works flawless, but My macbook is sitting on the desk about 5 m to the right of the screen so I can't see my mouse moving on the Plasma.

When I choose to clone the screen, it will set the Plasma to my Macbook's Resolution, which is not what I had in mind... is there any way i can set my macbooks resloution to FULL-HD?

I know my screen can only display 1280x800 pixel at once, but is there a way to make OSX think that this is a Full HD screen? so kinda like a little bit zoomed in Full HD display ? I would be fine if it could work like the magnifying glass (ctrl + scroll)

any ideas?

the second option would be to buy a external 22-24" Full HD monitor for my Desk and a HDMI Y Splitter, i have a 22" but its not full HD (16:10) would that work better if I just use that instead of the built in macbook screen (+ aHDMI y Splitter)

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

you should be able to use the HDTV as a separate screen, dont mirror your desktop, there should be another option in the displays menu when the TV is plugged in and turned on, sorry i cant think what it is off the top of my head lol

3. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea but then i cannot see what i am doing on the TV since my mac is on the right to my TV so when i look at the TV while i am on the mac i can only see the bezel -.-

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i'd advise moving it then, get a longer lead? mini dvi or displayport > HDMI leads aren't very expensive

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Does your macbook have to sit on the desk?

If so, then bluetooth mouse.

Now sit in front of the tV and control away.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

If the problem is just that you can't see the mouse pointer at a distance, you can always make it bigger:

System Preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Cursor Size

Make it as big as you want. Now, if the problem is seeing the text on the screen to double-click files or whatnot, that won't help, and if you're using the MacBook directly it'll be awkward, but for just home theater control might get the job done.

7. smyhal macrumors newbie

Had the same problem. Haven't tried this solution yet, but I've read that when you close the macbook the external display will be full HD after you wake the macbook with a wired mouse or keyboard.

You can use a bluetooth mouse or keyboard as long as you activate the "allow bluetooth device to wake the computer" or something like that. I think in the bluetooth settings panel.

The only other issue I've heard is running the macbook with the lid closed for extended periods due to heat. But apparently once you wake the macbook you can open the lid with out turning the display back on.

Hope this helps, I'm going to test it out this weekend.

I did find another workaround....that was to NOT have the displays mirrored, then you can set the external to full HD res. and move the video window over to the external display by dragging it. Then you can put it in full screen mode. This worked but I found the video player was "glitchy" I couldn't bring the controls for quicktime up properly, going to fool around with that more too. Didn't try using DVD player or Frontrow.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

I took the problem to mean that you couldn't see the pointer clearly from where you were trying to watch the TV, but maybe I misread, and the problem is just that the MB is not in front of the TV so you can't see it from where you're sitting. In which case, if all you want to do is get the movie started from in front of the MB, you could do as smyhal suggests and run them side-by-side (or with the lid closed so the internal screen isn't doing anything) with an external wireless keyboard/mouse. That would of course be fine if you can see the pointer from the couch (or wherever you sit in front of the TV).