Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Not sure if this is really the best way to describe this but I'll do my best.

I got a new second monitor for my iMac today, this monitor to be specific. While the image on the site seems to show a decent enough sized side bezel I was happy to discover when I unboxed the monitor that the bezel on the sides is only about 1/8 of an inch thick.

Unfortunately when I hooked up the monitor to my iMac (via an MDP to HDMI adapter) I noticed that the larger (roughly 1/2 in wide) bezel is in fact present but appears on the LED panel itself as if it's being software controlled.

This isn't a major concern for me as I can deal with the extra bezel (my iMac has plenty after-all) but if there is some way to remove the black around my picture and have just the thin bezel that would be wonderful.

Maybe it's just a thing that this monitor does, I'm not sure. If no one has a solution I'll just assume that. It's still a great monitor and after color calibration matches the quality of my iMac almost perfectly which is awesome. I just wish the picture extended to the true edges of the screen.

kapooty

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
This happened to me before when I was hooking up my PC laptop to an external monitor and the only way I was able to fix it was to change the input I used, something other than HDMI. Someone told me it occurs because the monitor believes you're using it as a TV and scales it accordingly.

Maybe trying using a Mini DisplayPort/thunderbolt to DVI adapter/cable and see if the border goes away.

I hope I understood your problem correctly :)

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
YEP, HDMI problem. Try to look for HDMI settings in the display menu or go DVI.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
The only real option is underscan which is already set to off. if I increase it the picture gets smaller. Considering I just ordered this MDP-HDMI Cable and I'd rather not order a new one for DVI I think I'll just live with it for now. Kinda annoying though.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm starting to think this might just be something this monitor does, maybe to hide light bleed from the LED or something. We have an LG monitor at work that does the same thing through DVI.

I say this because I went onto my windows 7 boot camp partition and ****ed with the GPU Settings through CCC and found that even with overscan turned 100% off the same bezel was still there. In addition, it's coming out as pure black (same look as when it's off) but when I put just a black frame on the screen it's slightly lighter in color (since the monitor can't display true black)

So yeah, it might just be one of those things I have to life with. Shame it's not right to the edge of it's tiny bezel though, that would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.