Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I have an external LG monitor connected through a display port cable to a LaCie big5 and then by thunderbolt to my rMBP..

Things were working just fine before 10.9.3. There sometimes was a number of screen on/off flashes during boot up or wake, but otherwise seamless.

Prior to 10.9.3, on wake, is seemed that some video (dim desktop) was fed to the external monitor whenever the login screen was displayed. In 10.9.3, it seems like video is not being sent to the external monitor until I enter the password. So if I'm not quick enough (~15 seconds), the external display just goes back to sleep and there doesn't seem to be anyway to bring it back except a rMBP restart. Turning the display on and off manually does not seem to trigger the OS to recognize that the display connected. Also, since the monitor is not quite woken up when the rMBP releases the lock, the external monitor windows get resized.

Any other see this minor issue/quirk? Looks like the broke a couple things with the latest fixes.

In 10.9.2 and earlier (on two different rMBPs) I had sleep/insomnia issues, where periodically it seemed like the rMBP would wake up the monitor (did something on the TB port I suspect). I learned to just turn off the monitor after putting the rMBP to sleep, and turning it back on before waking the rMBP. The daisy chain through the Big5 resolved that issue nicely, however.

Update: I notice the Apple support forums full of similar issues.

Last edited:

Brian Harmer

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
I am relieved to learn that I am not alone ... it definitely started a few days ago with 10.9.3 and is more than a minor irritant

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
Have exactly same problem. Thought that something happened to my monitor, but it is obviously the software issue.

After waking up my retina macbook, it can't detect the monitor....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.