External display wakes up with a purple hangover

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GeoffreyS, May 5, 2015.

1. GeoffreyS macrumors newbie

My Dell U2414H is a good monitor, and works well with my MBA in clamshell mode. Can't recommend it highly enough for desk work with fading eyesight and a need to keep a good posture.

However SOMETIMES when the MBA wakes from sleep, everything is in shades of purple. If I then open the MBA, there is a brief reset of the video output, but then its screen is in purple as well. My work around is to unplug the DELL from the Displayport, resetting the MBA display to normal, and re-connecting. Which is a pain. However, as an intermittent fault it's hard to investigate.

What could be causing this - Could a non-Apple Displayport cable be the culprit? Swopping out for genuine article is an expensive test.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

GeoffreyS

MBA 13" mid 2013, 8GB, OS 10.9.5*.
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB

*If I upgrade to Yosemite, I'm facing a big spend on some other incompatible peripherals :(

2. MacDavey macrumors newbie

I occasionally see a similar issue with my Mac mini when I wake it from sleep. I only seem to get this when the machine has been on for a long time though.

My solution is to unplug the monitor and then plug it in again.

I'd be interested to know if its from using non-apple cabling as I use a non-apple cable.

3. GeoffreyS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your post. The non-apple cabling is common to our problem. Mine hasn't happened in a few days. Nor, for that matter, has the MBA recently crashed and restarted sometime in the night while sleeping, as it has done half a dozen times this year. But only while connected to the external monitor. Ever have that happen?