External Display - What's Wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Melodeath, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I have a mid-2010 MBP and a 20" Samsung external monitor. I have a miniDisplay port to DVI adapter which I use to connect to the external display. Up until about the end of 2010, I used the external display and everything was great. I unplugged the cable whenever I needed to be mobile, and the screen switched to the laptop screen. Anytime I wanted to use the display, I just plugged the miniDisplay plug back in and it shot back to the external monitor.

I then stopped using the monitor and just used the laptop screen full time.

Now, I'm trying to use the external display again, but it's not working. When I plug the display plug in, the MBP screen goes light blue for a second, like it's switching to the video card, but the external display doesn't detect anything.

I got it to work once, by closing the lid of the MBP, then opening it and moving the mouse, which somehow shot the signal to the external display, but I haven't been able to replicate this. What am i doing wrong? It use to be just plug n play, and now it's not working and seems like I have to do something special.

OSX 10.6.8 (I was on an earlier version of 10.6 when it worked perfectly)

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Sounds like it is having a problem extending the desktop (this would explain why it worked in clamshell mode. I am going to guess it has something to do with 10.6.8.

Try booting up in safe mode (hold shift at startup) to see if it's a software conflict. Post the results.

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I put it in clamshell mode, the comp went to sleep (and all USB devices lost power), then I hit spacebar on an external keyboard. The comp woke up but went back to sleep bc it was still in clamshell. I then gave up and opened the computer up, put fingers on the trackpad, then external display worked. IIRC

So I had both displays going at once, which is how I always had it.

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

5. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

No no - I was just going into depth regarding how I got it working the one time since I started having this issue.

6. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update: I disabled gfxStatus from the Login items. Didn't help.

I restarted with the miniDisplay hooked up already. Didn't help. Ughh

7. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

8. Melodeath, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the recent video update for mid-2010 MBPs, I decided to try my external monitor again, but I am again having no luck.

I tried various resets with an AppleCare tech back in July, and it was concluded that 10.6.8 simply "broke compatibility" with my monitor - is that even possible? The monitor is 4 years old - doesn't seem old for a monitor.

9. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just tried another a totally different monitor. Plugged into DVI. Plugged into MBP. Switch monitor to digital input. Monitor immediately goes to power saver mode. Any ideas? Is my miniDisplay port busted?

10. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

It didn't work when I booted into Windows 7, either, so it can't be a software issue

11. unixperience macrumors regular

if you have another computer try that. There is a chance your minidp-dvi is broken. they do die. Fortunately they can be bought on amazon for about 8 bucks(including shipping). Just see if you can try somo other input to the screen, butDONT use your adapter. theres a good chance its the adapter
    additionally, when you have it plugged in and the screen goes blue you can check in system profiler under displays, see what it says

12. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Your idea inspired me to ask around and I was able to borrow a miniDisplay>VGA adapter, and this worked with my monitor. So it looks like the culprit is not my port or the software, but the miniDisplay>DVI adapter. I wonder if this cheap one from Amazon has a warranty haha

When I chose to mirror the displays, my MBP viewable area became a square instead of the usual 15" widescreen, but maybe that's normal for VGA?