External Display when lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by computerman-8, Mar 11, 2008.

1. computerman-8 macrumors member

I was seamlessly able to use my cinema display when the lid was closed before. Now when the lid is closed and it wakes up, it goes back to sleep. After pressing F7 twice I get my MacBook Pro display back up but at full brightness and can't bring it back down. I tried the PRAM reset and the one where you remove all power, repaired the disk and repair all the permissions. Sometimes it will work but after a reboot it's not working anymore. Help.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

seems like the display bug, i assume you are using 10.5.2 with the graphics update?

i never found a fix, (to make it work with the lid closed) but mine works right now after reinstalling OS X

3. computerman-8 thread starter macrumors member

Aguess i'll have to wait for the 10.5.3 update or something

4. lapetitefurie macrumors newbie

So, this is impossible?

I was using my MacBook with my 22" Acer LCD last night with the lid closed. Today, I tried waking the computer by using the keyboard (I have a refurbished previous-gen BT keyboard and a VX Nano RF mouse) to no avail. I had to lift the MB lid to get anything on my 22" screen.

I'm a little nervous about reinstalling Leopard...

5. orfeas macrumors newbie

Excuse me for chiming in, but how exactly did you do that? I've always wanted to use an external monitor and keyboard/mouse with my MBP lid closed and its own display turned off. Would you mind listing the steps? I am still running Tiger (because ProTools isn't certified with Leopard yet) and I have a 15" MBP Core Duo (late 2006 model) if it matters.

Thanks!

6. kolax macrumors G3

Insomnia X. Will let you still run your MBP with the lid closed whether you have an external display connected or not.

Handy feature. Just remember that a lot of the heat is dispatched through the keyboard, and closing the lid will mean the MBP will run hotter than usual.

7. Rush2112 macrumors newbie

Using External Display with Lid Closed

Orfeas,

Go to Finder/Help and type "display closed", and you'll get the following instructions:

Attached Files:

8. orfeas macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. Finder/Help... who woulda thunk it?