Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

computerman-8

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
I was seamlessly able to use my cinema display when the lid was closed before. Now when the lid is closed and it wakes up, it goes back to sleep. After pressing F7 twice I get my MacBook Pro display back up but at full brightness and can't bring it back down. I tried the PRAM reset and the one where you remove all power, repaired the disk and repair all the permissions. Sometimes it will work but after a reboot it's not working anymore. Help.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
seems like the display bug, i assume you are using 10.5.2 with the graphics update?

i never found a fix, (to make it work with the lid closed) but mine works right now after reinstalling OS X

computerman-8

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
seems like the display bug, i assume you are using 10.5.2 with the graphics update?

i never found a fix, (to make it work with the lid closed) but mine works right now after reinstalling OS X

Aguess i'll have to wait for the 10.5.3 update or something

lapetitefurie

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
the Tardis
So, this is impossible?

I was using my MacBook with my 22" Acer LCD last night with the lid closed. Today, I tried waking the computer by using the keyboard (I have a refurbished previous-gen BT keyboard and a VX Nano RF mouse) to no avail. I had to lift the MB lid to get anything on my 22" screen.

I'm a little nervous about reinstalling Leopard...

orfeas

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Excuse me for chiming in, but how exactly did you do that? I've always wanted to use an external monitor and keyboard/mouse with my MBP lid closed and its own display turned off. Would you mind listing the steps? I am still running Tiger (because ProTools isn't certified with Leopard yet) and I have a 15" MBP Core Duo (late 2006 model) if it matters.

Thanks!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Insomnia X. Will let you still run your MBP with the lid closed whether you have an external display connected or not.

Handy feature. Just remember that a lot of the heat is dispatched through the keyboard, and closing the lid will mean the MBP will run hotter than usual.

Rush2112

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2007
Using External Display with Lid Closed

Orfeas,

Go to Finder/Help and type "display closed", and you'll get the following instructions:

Attachments

• Lid Closed.gif
    Lid Closed.gif
    42.3 KB · Views: 207
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.