External Display - Which one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by medi.freak, Sep 26, 2011.

1. medi.freak, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

medi.freak macrumors regular

Sooo I got my MBP 15" a month ago or so, and would like to set up an externa Display along with it. The ACD is just too expensive for me. It doesn't have to be a 27" one anyway. I was more looking at 23" or 24" ones. Now the question which one I should take. What do I do on the machine? Nothing special. Office, surfing, usual stuff. Here are my favorites:

Display from Dell. I get this in Germany for 297 Euros

The 23" model from Dell

A 23" Display from HP, no IPS

or these ones in 27"

Acer Display 27". Really cheap! Is it good?

The HP in 27". ALso not very expensive!

So your opinions, should I go for the smaller ones, but with IPS, or with the big ones without? Would I notice it even? I was using a 19" one on my old PC. Is a 27" size worth the price and does it matter that the 27" one wouldn't be an IPS panel?
    You see, I am full of questions. Looking forward to help =)

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Definitely get the first one. Aside from Apple displays, Dell makes the best (in my opinion), especially the ultrasharp series. Stay away from the 27" ones, since 1080p on 27" for a computer monitor will look terrible. The first Dell is a 24" 1200p display, so it should go really well next to a 15" MBP.

3. medi.freak, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input =)

So the first Dell? What exactly, except the price and the size difference is the difference between the 23" Dell and the 24" Dell? It would be a 100 Euro difference for me, and I would only go for the 24" one when there is a good argument for it =)

I also found this 24" Monitor from Dell:

Dell 24"

It seems to be the older model. Anything that I should consider? What is the difference between this 24" one Dell and the other one? Help! ;)

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

The first dell has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. The second has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Besides the fact that it offers more pixels, 1920 x 1200 is also 16:10, which is typically a more productive aspect ratio, since it allows you to perfectly line up two documents side by side. 16:9 (the second one) only has the benefit of eliminating the black bars for widescreen movies, but it's directly losing those pixels, which I don't feel like is worth it.

5. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

6. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks for all the help guys. It is now between the two 24" Dells. The one is with IPS, the other one isn't. On german Amazon the price difference is about 75Euros. Is the IPS one really worth it? I understand that the viewing angles are better, but don't you just sit in front if it anyway? :p

Here are the links to the two monitors again:

No IPS

With IPS

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Honestly, I would spend the extra $70 and grab the IPS one. The panel is just nicer. You get a sharper, clearer picture, and that stuff is just worth it to me.

Let me put it this way, you definitely wont be disappointed with the IPS panel. The TN panel might leave something to be desired.

8. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Just bought the Asus PA238Q. It's a 23" IPS 1920x1080. I really like it and it has good reviews.