External display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by east1999, May 29, 2011.

1. east1999 macrumors member

Hey guys,

The first month with my new MBP is coming to an ending. I was thinking I could still trade it for an iPad/iMac combo but now I'm eager to try the famed external display soiution. I just have a couple of questions.

- When using the MBP with an external mouse and keyboard, do you leave it open or do you close the lid? I read that closing the lid could be harmful because of the fan's exit.

- Will the MBP (via mirroring) fill an external 16:9 display, if the MBP screen is 16:10? My HD TV will use 1366x768 when extending the desktop, and 1280x800 when mirroring, thus enforcing two black bars on the side. I intend to get a full HD monitor that goes up to 1920.

- Do you use the wireless mouse and keyboard? I wanted to get the Apple Wireless Keyboard, but then it's been out of stock for months on my local shop. I also read that the batteries run out every month or so. I've considered the wired Apple keyboard instead. Does it have the delete button?

- Lastly, any performance issues? The MBP has been incredibly silent this whole time, though I know it can fire up with flash video. Is it more of a stretch when it's also exporting image to a bigger res?

That's all! Thanks

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You can do either. No need to worry about the fans. They might spin faster when the computer is closed, but it's not harmful.
    See this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

- No, not unless you stretch the picture. If you use mirroring, both displays need to show the same resolution. If you use extended desktop, the two displays can show any supported resolution independently. If you only use the external display, you can set it to whatever you'd like.

- The higher resolution, the more is required of the computer. If you have the 15" or 17" MacBook Pro, there shouldn't be any issues. I don't know about the 13".

- See this and this.

3. crypticlineage macrumors regular

I have a Asus 23.6" external display hooked up to my MBP 13". I haven't noticed any fast spinning of fans and the set up works beautifully. I use both displays, so I haven't done the clamshell mode, except for when I watch movies.

4. east1999 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys. Any ideas on what's the better keyboard? I also looked into generic/Windows keyboards but I'm afraid i'll miss the bottom left key arrangement from the MBP.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I would definitely get one of Apple's (probably the wireless one) due to button placement and the function keys (Dashboard, Exposé and so on).