External Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stetwin, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I’m after a mid-range monitor for photography, ideally I would rather just buy something high-end but with most of my money going towards a Macbook Pro I don’t have lots to spare. Tonight I was in Tesco and I noticed a nice HP monitor and would just like to know what you guys think of it, and also what I should be looking for in a monitor,

/Ste

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Look for the highest resolution possible for the size. For example a 15" MacBook Pro display will go to 1440 x 900 dots, while other 15" displays in laptops only tend to go to 1280 x 740 dots. More dots = more space to work with on-screen.

Also, look at bit-depth. Is it 24 bit or 32 bit?

You can't really judge the performance of a display or TV by the contrast ratio or response time, so when people say 'urg it's only got 12 msec response time', that doesn't really mean an awful lot.

3. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Dont touch those HP monitors with a barge-pole, the colour is terrible. I bought the 20" version and soon took it back for a refund. That 19" HP actually only has the same resolution as the 15" macbook pro display.

dell, samsung and apple all make nice mid range monitors.

4. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I have £150 to budget towards an external display, so what would you suggest in my price bracket? I would prefer widescreen but its not necessary, also I don’t want to go too big because I already have a 26” TV in the room and want the difference between PC and TV obvious lol :cool:

5. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Look for at least an 800:1 display with the highest pixel number you can find. Also, looking around reviews for the best color accurate display may help as well.

The Dell HC monitors are apparently great.

6. B1RDFLU macrumors newbie

i have the Samsung SyncMaster 226 BW 22" widescreen and it is beautiful it has a 3000:1 contrast and 1650X1050 resolution all for $382 dollars after tax at circuitcity.com. Great monitor but for something good in your price range i would goto newegg.com just because i dont know of any uk electronic sites. just a suggestion.

7. john2006wright macrumors regular

Unfortunately in rip-off britain that monitor is about £250-300. The 20" may be nearer to £150. Dell do a 19" for £160 which is really nice apparently?

Did that HP have a DVI port, if its only VGA then avoid.

8. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Make sure whatever monitor you get is at least 1680x1050.
    ebuyer have a lot of bargains, most of their 20-22" 1680x1050 monitors are just over £150, however a couple are under that amount.