External Displayport screen and MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrepelly, Jun 16, 2012.

1. andrepelly, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

andrepelly macrumors newbie

Hello guys,
    my first post but i follow this nice forum by a long time :)

I just bought a nice MBA 11", so i'm looking a nice monitor to go along with..
    is there any other than the TBD?
    even with less resolution, but i'd like it to have a display port to use it as a docking station..

any suggestion?

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

The Apple Thunderbolt display is the only game in town if you want the docking station features (you'll find monitors with USB hubs and internal speakers, but they use multiple cables). A DisplayPort connection won't do that - it has to be Thunderbolt.

Otherwise, you can use pretty much any monitor up to 1920x1200 with the appropriate adapter (Mini-DisplayPort-to-DVI or Mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI, MiniDisplayPort-to-Full Size DisplayPort).

One warning: some of the cheap MiniDisplayPort-to-Full Size DisplayPort cables don't work very well with some monitors + Thunderbolt macs. E.g. I've got a HP LP2475 and a StarTech cable that produces a horribly fuzzy picture & others have had power/sleep issues. Not the end of the world, because its also got 2xDVI and a HDMI and works fine with the MDP-to-DVI adapter.

For higher resolution (bigger than 1920x1200) monitors it becomes a bit more complicated - short version: buy from a Mac dealer and specifically ask if the combination will work. Or, play it safe and go with the TBD (its not so expensive c.f. other displays of similar reslution).

3. snapper64 macrumors regular

theluggage is half right. Apple's Cinema Display is the only monitor that will act as a true docking station for the Air, but DisplayPort (v 1.2) does support the additional features you're after over the single cable. Unfortunately up to now it has seen limited adoption so you'll struggle to find a display that supports the newest standard. The feature is possible, it's just largely unavailable for now :(

I'm actually in the same situation as you andrepelly, I've also just bought a 2012 11" Air and am looking for a nice monitor :)

So far I've narrowed it down to either a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (1920x1200) or Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM (1920x1080). I'm leaning more towards the latter as it seems better value and still well suited to my needs. Both have outstanding reviews, support DisplayPort and have built in USB hubs. Neither support DisplayPort v 1.2 though, so you would have to plug the supplied USB cable into the Air to make use of the extra USB (in addition to the DisplayPort cable).

I'm happy with this compromise as the display is much cheaper than an Apple Cinema Display.

4. andrepelly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much guys! good to share the same "problems" with someone else :)

The latter solution feels nice, does the Dell even charge the MBA via
    displayport?

5. akapaul macrumors member

akapaul

Nope

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

The TBD doesn't even charge the MBA over the data line. It requires a second connection for power.

7. andrepelly thread starter macrumors newbie

8. paulrbeers, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It's a 27" monitor with only a 1080P resolution. That means the pixels are going to be huge....(pixel pitch of .311mm, lord have mercy).

I can't stand 1080P (as a monitor) for anything larger than 23". You won't get any more desktop resolution, just every pixel is bigger.

9. andrepelly thread starter macrumors newbie

great, thanks.:)

10. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I'm using a u2412m with a 2011 MBA, clamshell and a MDP-DP cable (a few bucks from monoprice). It's the best monitor I've ever owned and I highly recommend it. It goes on sale fairly often at the $300 mark.

11. andrepelly thread starter macrumors newbie

in the end i maybe end buying a TBD.
    but first i´d like to ask if someone knows something about the Samsung S27A850T, that goes on sale for €500 and seems to have a nice AG screen, not so aggressive as the Dell ultrasharp ones...