External Displays for 13inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erik887, Jul 28, 2010.

1. erik887 macrumors newbie

I'm a recent Mac convert. I bought a 13inch mac book pro but am now considering an external display. Does anyone have suggestions for relatively inexpensive displays and the requisite cords?

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Samsung makes some very decent monitors for reasonable prices. Mostly TN displays though. If you want LED backlight and IPS screens, you're looking at a far higher price range.

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd buy an older 20" or 23" Apple Cinema Display from ebay. You can get them anywhere from $100 and up. It works great with my MacBook Pro, and it has brightness controls and everything that work with the Apple Keyboards. It's pretty seamless in intergration compared to other models, and IMO it's worth the extra that most people pay, especially if you plan on keeping it for the 5 years or so that I do. Plus, it comes with the cords you need so you hve to figure that into the cost of comparison too.

If you want to save some money, any-non apple monitor will work just go to your local office store, and look at the display models. Before you buy look at the price on amazon too.
    Then, just get a generic DVI or VGA cable and the respective adapter for your notebook.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I just have an inexpensive 20" display and it works well for me. You could get a monoprice mini display port to dvi cable to work with most monitors, and you won't need to deal with adapters and finding the right cable to go with it.

5. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

If you're looking for a screen to sit on a desk and work with, you might be able to save a few bucks by getting only a DVI input and not HDMI. Here are the adapters from Monoprice for both Mini DisplayPort to HDMI and Mini DisplayPort to DVI

6. erik887 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll definitely take all of this into consideration.

7. phixiuz macrumors regular