External Displays on 2012 iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joshuaginter, Oct 24, 2012.

1. joshuaginter macrumors regular

While I may be reading this wrong, Apple's website claims that 2012 iMacs will be able to "simultaneously support full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display." Link.

Meanwhile, Apple's website states that both Retina MacBook Pro's can "simultaneously support full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors." Link

I am under the impression that past iterations of the iMac could support more than one external display. I can't see Apple changing external display support on newer iMac models, but I've been fooled before.

Anyone else have any information regarding this issue?

I am a fan of symmetry. I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display and want to pick up the 21.5" 2012 iMac. My goal was to get a second 20" Cinema Display but then ran into this Video Support roadblock.

2. johnmarshall4 macrumors newbie

I have the same question. It looks to me that they have taken a step backward. I'll wait for someone to confirm when they come out.

3. everon macrumors newbie

If I buy 21.5 Imac, can I use my Dell 2711 (2560 x 1440) as a main display?