External Drive Access Anywhere w/ Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by strausd, Jun 28, 2012.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

I am looking into buying a Airport Express. I know you can create a networked HD with the device. But can you access that drive even when you are outside of the network it is on?
    If so, how do you set that up?
    If not what would be the best option?

Thanks for the help.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

express doesn't take drives, only the extreme.

maybe a pogoplug? i have no experience with them, but they will do what you want.

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the advice.

So I if I bought the extreme how would I set it up through that device?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

This only applies to USB drives. If the OP was to get a NAS, they could connect it to the new Express' LAN port and share it.

OP, you could share a NAS outside of your home network by setting up an FTP server. You'll be required to enter your external IP address to access it, and if you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP, you may also need to set up a DDNS.

http://gizmodo.com/5528815/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-nas
    (look under Remote Access)

A solution like the Pogoplug may be easier to implement however, but a NAS is more versatile.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

the pogoplug would be in place of the extreme, but all it does is act as a file server, you would loose the other functionality of the extreme (Time machine, router, wireless base station)

what kinds of files are you trying to share?
    and to what devices?

it makes a diference as to how you would do it.

if you think you're going to share video, think again, most home interent connections are not fast enough to stream video out.
    Music should work, as well as photos, and "office style" files.

6. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

That sounds like what I am looking for. We simply want a location to store files and gain remote access to.
    How easy is it to get remote access. Would I need to VPN into it? If I have a Verizon Fios Router should I still get the airport express?

Also what is better, buying an airport extreme + HD or just a NAS?

All I want to do is store files and remote access them anywhere. It's for storing media and other misc files. Not planning on streaming.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you already have an ethernet port available, then all you need is the NAS.

8. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

How easy would it be to setup a NAS, so I can access my files remotely?
    The most important part is remote access, I do want something simple.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

Fairly easy. No need to VPN. If it's set up correctly with the correct port forwarded to the NAS, all that's required is to open an Internet browser and type "ftp://<IP Address>:<Port Number>" Alternately you can use an FTP program such as FileZilla.

Most NAS units will come with instructions to set up an FTP server. You can probably find manuals and how-to's/FAQs on the manufacturer's site before purchasing the NAS.

10. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

At work when I connect to the drive it just shows up in Finder. I connect to it through Apple+K then type the IP. Will a NAS give me this option?

11. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes, just type what I posted previously in the Server Address field. Just make sure to include "ftp://" before the IP address.

12. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

That's why I prefer using VPN to remote into my home network, for the convenience of accessing folders through Finder with my normal user login. And the encryption/authentication mechanisms give me a sense of security in leaving ports exposed to the internet.