External drive backup with Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by d82k, Aug 12, 2012.

1. d82k macrumors member

Dear All,

I would like to backup my external drive together with my iMac with the Time Machine. I just removed it form the list of the excluded path and it works.

I would like to know, if I disconnect the drive from the iMac (for a long period) is there a time frame after which the backup files of the drive are removed since not seen anymore?

Thank you,
    dk

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I believe that only happens when the drive is full, and time machine has to remove older back-ups to make room. Then, at some point, your external drive back-up will be erased once time machine deletes the last back-up with the drive connected.

3. d82k thread starter macrumors member

Thank you vmachiel for your answer.
    I imagined something similar.

Do you also know if it is possible to set a double backup with time machine like this: first the automatic one as already in place using the timemachine and NAS (basically every day). A second one with an external USB drive (whenever connected / once a week).

Thank you for your support,
    dk

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Only if you have Mountain Lion. Just add both disks to the list of backup destinations and it will alternate between the disks. If one isn't present, it will just use the other one until the first one is reconnected.

5. d82k thread starter macrumors member

Thank you hafr!
    That was exactly what I was looking for.. I will upgrade soon.
    thanks,
    dk