External drive changing name

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sealdriver, Mar 7, 2017.

1. sealdriver macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have an issue which I hope someone can help with. I hope I can describe it adequately with my limited knowledge.

I use an iMac and have a Drobo connected which I use to store photos etc. I use Crashplan which backs up the Drobo as well as the iMac. I also use Lightroom which catalogues my photos on the Drobo.

Occasionally when the Drobo mounts it increments its name by adding a number (I am now on Drobo 19) but this number does not show in the Finder where it is still listed as 'Drobo'. However, both Crashplan and Lightroom do see this number and therefore think it is a new disk and do not back-up or catalogue from it. I have tried changing the number manually, back to its last increment, in the hope the programs will pick it up but have been unsuccessful. The number can be seen in the info panel (command-I in the Finder) but not in the finder itself.

I am assuming I would need to rename the Drobo at a much lower level than the Finder. Ideally I thought of having a script I could run, or via Keyboard Maestro, each time it increments so that it is set back to the name recognised by the two programs. Is this possible? Am I making sense?

Many thanks for any help that may be given.

Pat

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

3. sealdriver thread starter macrumors newbie