External Drive Choices for MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Echoblue, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Echoblue macrumors newbie

I need advice on purchasing an external drive for back up purposes. I just got a 15" MBP 2.8 500GB after getting some great advice from the group.

I currently have a WD My Book Studio 1TB, which I purchased after a WD drive appeared to loose my information. In addition, I had a lacie drive that died several years ago, so I am not so confident in the external drives, so I want a secondary drive for the extra security. I went to purchase the same WD drive I got a few months ago, but learned that it no longer is sold because the drives have been updated, and not for the better.

Ideally I would love to get a small drive that is 1TB that I can keep in a safe box, in case of the unexpected. I haven't been able to find any smaller portable drives that are 1TB and the 1 WD I found seems to be a no no. Something stable and reliable would be great. I am planning to begin using TM for backups. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think there are many (any?) 1 TB drives in the 2.5" form factor, and if there are I wouldn't buy one. Check the Guides for the external hard drive guide. There's lots of good info there.