External Drive connected to AEBS is slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iBunny, Nov 27, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I have connected a USB 2.0 Lacie 250GB HDD to my ABES and it is super slow when transering files. Is this because the WiFi is so much slower than the USB direct connection to the computer?

If not, what can I do to fix this? Copying over like 1GB takes 20 minutes!!

Thanks

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Wifi is slow to begin with. What 'speed' Wifi are you using?

Secondly the AEBS doesn't have much processing power, so this adds to the slowness of sharing a drive over it.

It takes me about 8 minutes to move a 700MB file over 130Mbit "N" (not 300Mbit, since I have to have a b/g network as well).

3. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Yuck, Im just going to take the drive off it then. Its way to slow to use.

I run it as N with B/G Compatible because I have certain devices which use G. Oh well tho, They need to find some way to make this way faster. Its completly unuseable at this speed.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The limitation is the AEBS processor. Even wired connections to disks hanging off the AEBS are slow. USB is fairly processor intensive and the poor thing is doing all it can to transfer at 10mbps.

5. agore macrumors member

Not only that, but UBS is the only interface. Get a FW800 disk that connects directly to the computer. If you don't have FW800, the next best thing is Network Attached Storage (NAS) disk that plugs into your LAN. Because you have an AEBS, you can run the Ethernet 1000 models. This will run fast to your computer IF you plug in with Ethernet 1000 directly. You can use WiFi also, but it would be slower.

Your third-best option would be to get a FW400 disk that connects directly to the computer.