external drive damaged and unreadable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by camille88, Aug 13, 2010.

1. camille88 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My hard drive suddenly stopped working. Maybe after my friend that has a PC inserted it in her computer, that might not have been as protected as she thought. anyway.

when i plug my drive in, it says : the disk you inserted could not be read and i have as options "initiwalize", "ignore" or "eject...
    i have dowloaded data rescue 3 but it would not scan my hard drive. I tried both scans.

I have then bought another hard drive, a 500GB like the other one, but a different brand and smaller.

I formated it (maybe it is "restored") and then i cloned the old hard drive on the new one. took 5 days but it was done. i tried to plug my new hard drive on the computer and it says the same message as before "could not ber read".

I then tried to scan it and it worked but i could only recover 222GB....

any ideas how i could do to have all the datas???
    I am seriously not good with computers and trying to get better. I would welcome any help!

Thanks already,

Camille

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If Data Rescue 3 can't salvage anything, the chances are very high that the only way you're going to get anything off the drive is sending it to a professional data recovery service. Those usually run on the order of several thousand dollars, so this is only a realistic option if you absolutely must have whatever is on the disk.

Sadly, as a general rule, it's not a matter of if a drive will fail, but when--it's a moving part, and an incredibly sensitive one at that. Having a backup is really the only thing you can do in the future.