External drive - Deleting files

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cocoalex, Jul 22, 2011.

1. cocoalex macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought my first Imac, so still learning here. :)
    I deleted some files from an external drive, but the capacity of the drives remain the same. The Trash bin is empty, so the system must still keep those files somewhere.

The Finder shows 2 folders on my External driver: Recycler and System volume information.

Am I suppose to delete the files from somewhere else too?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

3. cocoalex thread starter macrumors newbie

4. fivedots macrumors 6502a

That drive needs to be reformated to the HFS+ shown above. It's currently NTFS, which is Windows. Mac OS X can read it, but can't write/change it natively.

If you have stuff you need on it, copy it over to your Mac, then reformat using Disk Utility, then move it back.

Remember that Windows won't be able to work with it after doing so, however.

5. cocoalex thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend told me that installing Tuxera should fix the problem. The hard drive use to be read only, but now I can copy and delete files. I was hoping that I won't have to move all my files and formate it.

6. cocoalex thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed that after I deleted some files Mac os won't update the info regarding the hardware capacity, but if I check it with Disk Utility I have the correct and new hardware free space capacity.

How can I reset / refresh the Finder so that it will show the correct info too?