external drive for traveling DJ

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kryptonitejesus, Mar 5, 2011.

1. kryptonitejesus macrumors member

I'm ordering the 2011 MBP pretty soon here most likely going with the 128GB SSD and an external FW800 to house all of my tracks on it, so what are some good hard drives that are durable/reliable, I'm looking for something with over 500GB.

2. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

No one has any opinons on a reliable hard drive that has rugged ports and can stand the rigors of the road?

:(

3. Sossity macrumors 6502a

OWC or other world computing has a good selection of portable 2.5 inch drives, but they are a bit expensive, but you pay for the firewire 800 connectivity on a portable, most portable hard drives seem to come with just usb 2.0, so the usb 2.0 only ones are a bit cheaper, & these can be found on amazon.

4. hoxley macrumors regular

i just got a d2 quadra (lacie) - very rugged, but a little loud (2tb) for a supposed 'silent' drive - VERY solid build though - and firewire 800

5. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

bus powered is preferred, and I don't want to use a USB hard drive... I'm using this for music streaming into Serato ITCH... I'd rather use FW800... don't like buffering when I'm DJing... OWC stuff is kind of not what I'm looking for... thanks though.

Also, I guess I didn't put it in there, but I'm going to be traveling a LOT, the smaller the footprint the better, I'm trying to find somewhere to buy that eGo Blackbelt Mac 1TB bus powered hard drive actually.