External drive got erased somehow! :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IMcD23, Feb 10, 2010.

1. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Yesterday, I was copying files onto a Seagate FreeAgent Go external HD. Once the copy was complete, I absentmindedly just unplugged it. When I plugged it into my other mac, there was nothing in the drive.

This drive is formatted NTFS, because I use it for files on the PC too. I am using NTFS-3g to be able to read and write to the drive. I have heard that the most recent files might not be applied to the drive if i forget to hit eject before unplugging it. But every single file I have on it (some were up to 5 months old) is gone.

Overnight, I used Data Rescue 3 to try to restore files, but nothing much showed up with a Deep Scan.

Any help is appreciated
    -IMcD23

2. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Since it's NTFS, are you able to connect it to a dedicated Windows machine and view the files?

Just incase there is something wrong with your read/write program (3G) and it's ability to view files after an incorrect eject.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good suggestion.

If this doesn't work, you might want to give SpinRite a try.

Worth it's weight in gold. :)

4. IMcD23 thread starter macrumors regular

IMcD23

Ok thanks guys, i am trying it now!

UPDATE: When I plug it into my Windows 7 box, there are two items that show up. one is the common .DS_Store file, and the other is the .Trashes folder with 501, 502, and 503 empty folders inside it.

Should i run CHKDSK or something on it?

5. jensanau macrumors newbie

Sorry I cant answer that IMcd23 :( but I had the exact same problem and gave it to my son who is recovering them by using a recovery program to copy them to another drive (not sure which one but I will ask him). Apparently my files were still there even tho I couldnt see them but he found them. I will let u know how we get on, it may or may not help you if you still havent had any luck retrieving yours.

6. IMcD23 thread starter macrumors regular

IMcD23

Ok thanks! Yeah that would really help!

-IMcD23