External Drive, How to have data placed on it

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sblinder, Jan 14, 2009.

1. sblinder macrumors newbie

Hello

I am using a program called Ispy which is a security program, I bought a mac mini to use just for this use. The drive is a Lacie 1.5 Terrabyte drive, my problem is I don't know how to make the program write the data to this drive and not to the small drive on the mac mini. With the program the small drive in the mini would be used up to fast, the new drive would work for months. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks Alot
    Steve

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

There should be a way to set the data location to a different directory/drive through the apps preferences. I would check in there.

3. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Check the application's prefs as madog suggested.

If there's nothing there that lets you change the destination of the files, you may be able to play some games with symbolic links on the hard drive.

For example, if the program writes to /Users/sblinder/ispy_data/ you could try moving ispy_data to the large external drive and then do something like "ln -s /Volumes/LaCie/ispy_data ~/" That would create a symbolic link called ispy_data in your home dir which actually points to the LaCie.

Obviously, you'd need to adjust the pathnames/etc. but that's how I'd look into hacking it into submission if the app prefs don't let you do it the right way.

Mike

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You've got it backwards. It should be

ln -s ~/ispy_data /Volumes/LaCie/ispy_data