External drive iTunes trouble continues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CarstenO, Mar 9, 2011.

1. CarstenO macrumors newbie

I Zeroed Out the drive (it took 15 hours!!) and copied my iTunes folders and files to it - drag'n'drop, not Superduper copy since I was afraid SuperDuper might also copy bad, hidden files.

But the annoying "The iTunes Library cannot be saved. An unknown error occured (-50)." keeps occuring, after which I can't really do much with the app. Not even relaunch it after quitting. I need to reboot. I tried shifting the drive to another USB-port - both to another on the computer itself and to an active hub, that I have, but that didn't help either.

Then it occured to me that error-message often pops up when I connect my iPhone to sync it. What might be the cause of that?

The strange thing is, it only happens when I use the 2TB Verbatim-drive, not when I use the 1TB back-up drive (by Maxtor). I've noticed that the shop where I bought the Verbatim also has a 2TB Buffalo that's only a little bit more expensive and might be an ok replacement - I don't know Buffalo. Any thoughts on that?

Could this simply be a mismatch between my setup and Verbatim? Could my USB-ports be failing and that maybe the cause of all this crap?

Any thoughts, hints or advice is greatly appreciated
    TIA
    Carsten

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Neither Verbatim nor Buffalo make the drives inside the enclosures, so the quality depends entirely on the drive manufacturer.

This is actually a support thread for a piece of software, not a troubleshooting thread. Please start a new thread over on the Mac Basics and Help forum and I'm sure someone will be happy to help you there.

3. CarstenO thread starter macrumors newbie

Trouble with external drive

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with an external Verbatim 2TB harddrive that I recently bought, and that I store my entire iTunes library on - library files and media files. It's USB2

The trouble is that every now and then it'll show me this error message "The iTunes Library cannot be saved. An unknown error occured (-50)." after which I can't play anything from iTunes, I can't even quit the app and relaunch it, I need to reboot the entire machine.

I've tried formatting the disk using the Zero Out option to see if I could get rid of any bad sectors (it took 15 hours!!) and then I copied my media folders and library files back to it, using drag'n'drop and not SuperDuper that I would normally use. This because I wasn't sure whether SuperDuper would copy any previously backed up bad files or hidden files/folders

But the annoying "The iTunes Library cannot be saved. An unknown error occured (-50)." keeps popping up

I've tried plugging the disk into another USB-port (I've tried ports both on the computer itself and on the active hub that I use, but none of that helped.

The it occured to med that the error message often (if not always) pops up when I connect my iPhone to sync it. I'm wondering that might tell us. What is wrong?

And the strange thing is that it only happens when I tap into the Verbatim disk, and not when I open iTunes with the library on my backup disk (Maxtor)

The shop where I bought the Verbatim disk also sells a Buffalo 2TB disk that only a little bit more expensive, so I'm considering asking for that to replace the Verbatim disk when I return it

I'm not familiar with Buffalo. Any hints on the quality of their disks might be very helpful. I'm also wondering whether it's plainly a mismatch between Verbatim and my setup

Any thought, hints and advice is greatly appreciated
    TIA
    Carsten

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Multiple threads merged. Please create only one thread per topic.