External Drive leaving directories in /Volumes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by focalplane, Mar 4, 2009.

1. focalplane macrumors member

I have a strange problem, I have an external FW800 drive labelled "DataTank" with my Parallels VM's on, and recently i noticed on a few occasions that Parallels could not find the VM's on startup and I had to locate them.

I noticed in a save dialog tonight multiple copies of DataTank, but all except one had a red X on them.

I unmounted the drive and looked in /Volumes and there are 4 DataTank folders, labelled

DataTank
    DataTank 1
    DataTank 2
    DataTank 3

All are owned by root in the admin group and have d--x--x--x permissions.

So when the drive mounts its now mounting as DataTank 4

I seem to be unable to remove them. any ideas?

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've seen this happen before. These sometimes get left behind when a drive, for whatever reason, is not unmounted properly - for example, when the computer suddenly shuts down due to power failure.

This is easy to fix, though you need administrative permissions to do it, and a lack of fear of a few Terminal commands. (Make sure you do this while the DataTank drive is NOT mounted!)
    Code:
    cd /Volumes
    sudo rm DataTank\ 3
    sudo rm DataTank\ 2
    sudo rm DataTank\ 1
    sudo rm DataTank

After that's done, restart just to be safe, before mounting the DataTank drive again.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Do those folders contain anything? It might be best to do this:

Code:
    cd /Volumes
    sudo rm -rf DataTank\ 3
    sudo rm -rf DataTank\ 2
    sudo rm -rf DataTank\ 1
    sudo rm -rf DataTank

The -rf means it will recursively remove things and force the folder to be removed. I find it to be a bit better because sometimes just doing an rm won't remove the folder.

4. focalplane thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Was sure i'd tried this, though must have only tried sudo'ing from my normal account, which isnt in the sudoers list.