External Drive Mounting Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jahlinux, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jahlinux macrumors member

jahlinux

My iMac has been very unstable lately, frequent lockups. I had to turn off the computer by holding in the power button a couple of times. Sometimes it starts up and other times it just sits at a blue screen. My Time Machine external FireWire drive may be failing. Sometimes it does not mount. It shows up in Disk Utility and I have tried the repair function and then finally reformatted it. Thought everything was fix and after Time Machine made a new backup I entered Time Machine and the computer locked up again. Shut off the computer again, and again it started up and stop at a blue screen, restarted it again and it fully started.

Again the Time Machine drives does not mount. Also a portable USB drive will not mount, I get and error about not being properly unmounted. The USB drive works fine in my MacBook.

What would cause the iMac to not mount any external drives? Can a failed drive that does not get unmounted correctly corrupt the iMac to the point it can't mount any external drive?

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Have you checked out this iMac with Disk Utility? (verify both disk and perms).

Let's see this listing:

ls -Orbitlake /Volumes

3. jahlinux thread starter macrumors member

jahlinux

Looks like it was the Time Machine USB Drive. I'm just suprised how it messed up the ability to connect another USB drive. I have verified the iMacs hard drive with disk utility. Also the portable USB Drive works now but I needed to connect it to my MacBook first, then once I was able to properly unmount it, it worked on my iMac.