Resolved external drive not showing up...but I'm warned disconnecting!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supermarky, Jan 1, 2012.

1. supermarky, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

supermarky macrumors newbie

I don't see it on desktop or under "devices" in finder... yet when unplugging the drive once I noticed I was warned about possible damage to contents.

with a tower I'd know to disconnect power source and wait an hour. here ... is some analogous procedure indicated?

what the heck do I do
    -- oh, also, btw - main HD was partitioned into 2 parts, only one of which is showing under "devices" and on the desktop.

Ext drive is linked via USB

there's gotta be a simple solution? Please advise, thanks :)

2. MiMiN macrumors newbie

What brand is your hard drive? Some Seagates and Samsungs have been known to have Mac compatibility issues after a while for some reason. This has happened to me on more than one occasion. What you want to do now to pre-empt this is most likely get Data Rescue (http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php) and backup whatever you have before something major happens (I'm talking from experience here, wish I had done that on some of my earlier hard drives), and then format the HDD through Disk Utility.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop: > External disks (is it checked?)
    Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Show these items in the Sidebar: > External Disks (is it checked?)

4. MiMiN macrumors newbie

Also, what GGJstudios said. :p

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

What GGJ said, and also open up "Disk utility", when you plug in the hard drive does anything appear in bit on the left?

6. 808? macrumors 6502a

Is the external drive plugged directly into your USB port or via a USB hub?

Some USB hubs don't have enough power to support some external drives and require an external power supply to work 100%.

7. simsaladimbamba

No need to wait an hour, a minute maybe in order to let platters spin down, but waiting an hour is not necessary.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Sounds like your hard drive is partitioned as NTFS or some other non-Mac-recognizable filesystem.

9. supermarky thread starter macrumors newbie

oh wait, well in the finder pref sidebar the very tippity top thing wasn't checked, which appears to be "device central" and is called ""First Users Macbook Pro". now previously I didn't need this, but... when it's checked off it looks as though I get back both partitions and the ext drive via this "device".

under "devices" I still get the startupdisc partition of main HD listed below "first user's macbook pro"

so I Can get around now, thank you!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs do recognize NTFS drives and native Mac OS X can read NTFS drives. With additional software, Mac can also write to NTFS. That wouldn't be a reason for a drive to not be recognized by Mac OS X.
    Glad you got it sorted out!

11. simsaladimbamba

What you see, is you computer name and it then lists all connected storage devices.
    Click on External disks, as it probably looks like this now:
    [​IMG]
    but it should look like this:
    [​IMG]

12. supermarky thread starter macrumors newbie

oh that's also the case - the "tick" was a horizontal line, not a check mark!

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Macs don't read ext partitions AFAIK.
    But it doesn't matter, glad it's all sorted out.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they do. Like many Mac users, I have a partitioned external drive that my Macs are able to read and write to with no problem whatsoever.

15. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean "external" or "ext2" or "ext3"?