External Drive Not Showing Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Battlefield Fan, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Alright so I have a Seagate 500GB External HD partitioned into two 250 GB partitions. My aperature library is on one of these. Unfortunately that side refuses to show up but the second partition will. When I run disk utility and try to repair it this is what it says:

Verifying volume “disk1s2”
    ** /dev/disk1s2
    Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.
    Verify and Repair volume “disk1s2”
    ** /dev/disk1s2
    Invalid BS_jmpBoot in boot block: 000000
    Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Disk utility claims it has MS-DOT as the file interface which is false since it was set up with HFS. I boot into bootcamp and I can see all the files on both partitions. What can I do to bring my files and drive partition back to normal?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like it has a bad sector(s) in that partition. If you have access to an IBM PC, hook the drive up to it and purchase SpinRite and run this HDD recovery and maintenance tool on it. The program is DOS based and will not ruin OS/X. SpinRite doesn't care what OS is on a HDD, it will work on it regardless.

I have this program and used it many times to repair and recover HDD's for folks to get their important data back. Plus it's a good idea to run it somewhat regularly to keep the HDD in good order.

3. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Unfortunately I don't have access to an IBM pc :(

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well, you may have to take it into a computer shop and ask them if they have SpinRite or similar program to help recover your data.

There may be other members here who some tricks that I don't. Hopefully someone can assist you.